Monday, October 18, 2010

You have gotta see this place!




Well hello again!  Now, don't get too comfortable with a daily

<> 
Briefing before jumping on the bus
blog.. My days are about to get really hectic! :)  But, I just couldn't contain myself.  I had to share, as soon as possible, what it was like to step foot on the bottom of the planet!  So, I guess where I left off was packing and swan diving.  Not sure how I pulled it off but I woke up to the natural alarm at 4:40 a.m.  Thank goodness I did because I accidently set my other alarm for p.m and not a.m.  So many kudos to the coolest alarm ever!  Right on time I walked into the lobby at 5 a.m only to find out the shuttle was delayed and wouldn't be picking us up until 5:45.  Bugga!  Oh well.  After arrival at the CDC (clothing distribution center next to the airport) we quickly put on our gear.  Well, most of it at least.  I held off on Big Red since its the thickest, warmest parka I've ever put on, therefore making it stifling hot!  After getting dressed we went straight to baggage security.  Our luggage was weighed and then we were weighed, as well, with our carry on luggage.  The CDC was pretty awesome and supplied us with a cheap $13 breakfast.  Notice the sarcasm.  They served us some delicious water eggs, hashbrowns, ham, and toast with red plum jam. Not worth the $13 if you ask me.  After breakfast we met promptly at 7:20 for, yet again, another briefing.  Once that was done we were finally able to line up, go through security, and jump on our bus that would bring us over to the plane. 
The C-17 was absolutley huge! 
 In the front there were some comfy seats and on the sides the not so comfy seats.  They reminded me of folding chairs.  Yup! You guessed it! I was definitely on a side seat.  Five hours of flight time, with ear plugs, on 4 hours of sleep, sitting in something that resembles a metal folding chair quite possibly takes the cake for most uncomfortable flight.  Even beats the one from L.A to Aukland.  But, let me tell you, it was well worth it!  Let me repeat... WELL worth it!  Upon landing my emotions were flying and my stomach was definitely fluttering with the butterflies!  I was so excited to take my first glimpse of Antarctica, but a little nervous with fear of the unknown.  On top of that I knew I was going to be overwhelmed with meeting new people and training for a new job.  So much was going on in my head.  But, it felt great to feel all those feelings.  They really make you feel "Alive" if you know what I mean.  You might laugh at this, but I was so concentrated on taking a picture of my first glimpse that I almost fell down the steps getting off the plane.  I caught myself right before it happened.  Anyways...  The view was awesome.  I don't know if awesome will do it justice, but it was awesome!  and Cold!  But not too cold.. I think the tempature was about 0 degrees.  Nothing that us Michiganders can't handle.  But, it felt much colder being thrown into it.  As I was about to climb up on into "Ivan" (56 seater shuttle bus) I was pulled aside by the driver and given a nice warm welcome.  Also, letting me know my bags would be in the shuttle office.  The first thing I noticed while on the shuttle, and this is something they have mentioned many times in orientation, was static electricity.  Because it is so dry here static electricity is crazy!  My hair was sticking out everywhere!  The base was only a 5-10 minute drive from the runway.  And that is driving at speeds not exceeding 25.  Right when we arrived at McMurdo we had another briefing in the galley (dining hall), assigned our housing, then set free to get our linen and explore.  My room is room 108 in building 155.  That is the building with the galley in it.  Meaning I don't have to gear up for meal times.  Apparently, I will be changing rooms in a few days though.  McMurdo is extremely over populated so rooms are super cramped at the moment.  My room has 6 girls total.  I was told once people leave for the Pole, field camps, and the winter overs go home I will switch rooms to a less packed room.  I made it as far as getting my linen and making my bed by the time it hit dinner time.   At dinner I made friends with a few of the janitor crew.  My friend that I met the first day on the shuttle in Denver is a janitor so he introduced me.  Surprisingly dinner was pretty good.  I've definitley had worse so I can't complain.  So, that leaves me to where I'm at now.  Writing in this blog in the "internet cafe/room of computers".  Tomorrow will be a long day of training.  I have to go through "drivers training" on the ice.  And then a bunch of other stuff.  I have to be at bulding 140 at 7:30.  Lucky for me building 140 is right across the street. Until next time! 


Flight on a C-17



me on the C-17

First glimpse of Antartica from 1 of 2 small windows on the plane


And there it is! My first Glimpse/step onto Antarctica---Notice Ivan!


Yup! I'm at the bottom of the earth!  This is so cool!

 
McMurdo station... The blue building is where I reside :)




Much Love!  

P.S I tried to work the photos within the blog, but it would only let me do it with one photo.. AND sorry about the layout.. I swear technology really hates me!


8 comments:

  1. Loved the photos, Kristy. Keep 'em coming. Don't worry about the layout - the pictures are what matters. Most important - enjoy your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of you on the ICE!!!! Congratulations on achieving one of your dreams. Much Love Mom (in balmy Michigan) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Kristy! Good luck at drivers ed tomorrow - I can't imagine driving one of those things around down there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the pictures!! I'm a little jealous!! Good Luck on driving tomorrow!! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is amazing kdog, can really picture it all! cant believe you have actually gone to work in Antarctica! everyone here thinks it's amazing. cant wait to read more, and to see you here in England in a few months.
    Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Kristy! Amazing GOOD job at your blog and pictures. So exciting to see you and watch! Keep them coming whenever you have a chance! Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures are sweet!! I cannot believe you are actually there! Good luck with the job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristy,
    How wonderful, as we talked before you left a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am so jealous. Have a ball and keep a wonderful journal. You will never forget this. How Great.

    ReplyDelete