Sunday, December 19, 2010

Season's Greetings from Antarctica!


Hello family, friends, and followers!

I hope that this blog entry finds you all doing well and enjoying the holiday season! I, for one, cannot believe that Christmas is less than a week away!  Where did 2010 go?!  It's so strange for me to think that if you would have asked me last Christmas where I would be celebrating in a year, I never, in my wildest dreams, would have answered Antarctica!  In fact, this is probably the last place on earth I ever expected to celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years!  It's funny how quickly some things just fall into place, as if they were always meant to be, even when they are not planned.  All it took was one small advertisement on the side of google saying "work in Antarctica" and a blog of a previous penguin lover to convince me that I must try to go to the bottom of the world.  And here I am!  To get into the spirit down here there is what is called "Santarctica."  Santarctica is crazy people dressing up in Santa, elf, and reindeer costumes running around the station taking pictures.  There are approximately 50 costumes on station, so if all the costumes were utilized you can only imagine 50 Santa's, elves, and reindeer's prancing from building to building in such a small place.  Sadly, I was unable to participate or even enjoy gallivanting around the station with them, due to the fact that I am currently a "day sleeper".  Luckily, people posted pictures on the I-drive (a place that everyone has access to post pictures/documents) for everyone to see.  Here are a couple of pictures -- it doesn't look like all the costumes were utilized.


Other than that it really hasn't felt much like Christmas.  Sometimes as you are disposing of your eating utensils while leaving the galley, the dish washing room will be playing Christmas classics.  Occasionally, a Christmas movie will be played on one of the two movie channels, but who has time to watch TV?  Especially when the movies are usually on during the day while I am sleeping.  There are a few decorations posted to some of the telephone poles, but not much.  However, the galley was decorated today and it now looks like Christmas threw up in there.  It's safe to say that the Galley is the most festive place in the station. 

I am sad to report that there really hasn't been much going on since my last entry.  My life literally consists of sleep, work out, eat, work, and repeat.  Mainly because my body has yet to adjust to staying up all night and all I want to do is sleep!  You wouldn't think it, since I sleep 9-11 hours a day soundly, but it is a real struggle for me to stay up at night.  The other day I slept 10 1/2 hours during the day and somehow managed to fall asleep at 3 a.m, sitting up against a wall while reading.  I can always tell when it is 2 a.m because every night right around that time it feels like I ran into a wall; instantly tired.  My days off are not as joyous as they once were when I was on day shift because there isn't really much to do at night.  I pretty much try to find things to keep me occupied until at least 5-6 a.m and then I am safe to swan dive.  Thank goodness I transition back to days within the next week or two!

Besides constantly being tired, night shift has had its perks.  For one, the work load is a lot less stressful.  There still is a lot of work, but more on the administrative side.  Day shift can get super hectic especially when there are planes coming in, 20 people calling for taxis, and vehicles breaking down all at the same time.  I've also been able to experience some spectacular views in pure peace. 

This is a picture of the mountains at about 5 a.m         
At about 4 a.m there was a seal flopping towards the edge of the ramp out at Pegasus where I was able to get some pretty up close pictures of her.



But lets go back to vehicles breaking down.  First I need to explain that we have now switched airfields.  Due to warmer weather and the sea ice melting, we had to switch from the Ice Runway out to Pegasus Runway.  The sea ice is melting and the water is quickly approaching McMurdo.  Currently if you climb up OB hill you can see the ocean in the distance, with a few more ice bergs.  It's pretty cool to see actually.  Anyways, the ice runway is slush on the top right now.  Now, there are two ways to get out to Pegasus Runway; the long way or the short way.  Light vehicles, such as vans and trucks, are now forbidden to take the short way, leaving only the long route.  The long route is about a 45 minute drive, compared to the 8 minute drive to the Ice Runway.  On that note, I would like to add that I find on the long 45 minute drive, people are usually not at a loss for conversation.  Maybe it's because they can't handle 45 minutes of pure silence, but I have had the most random conversation with some of the ANG and other employees.  Some of which have included C-17 crashes/malfunctions, how to raise hens/chickens and how to get them on a proper egg laying schedule, which type of ticks carry Lyme disease, women's rights in Saudi Arabia, kidnappings in South America, and how to get rich quick are just a few examples.  Sometimes it's just like they spit out whatever they can think at the top of their head to kill the silence and make the ride go quicker.  I find it hilarious.


Carrying on.  The shortcut, in a delta or Ivan, takes about 1/2 an hour.  The reason for only being able to take deltas and Ivan the short route is because we still use the transition onto the ice that was used for the Ice Runway. Therefore at times, there are giant puddles.  A fellow shuttle driver actually managed to get a delta stuck in one of those puddles, now known as Lake Blake, and fuel started spilling out causing a big scene with firetrucks and all.  Anytime there is a fuel spill you have to let the firehouse know and either clean it up yourself, if small enough, or have them do it for you.  Anyways, the sea ice is still about 7 or 8 feet deep so its still safe to drive on.  The long way is over another sea ice transition that is about 30 ft deep and will not melt out.  It will just be 3-4 foot deep puddles as the weather gets warmer.  The reason that sea ice will not melt out, and is so deep, is because it is pretty much squished between Ross Island and the Ross Ice Shelf.  Soon we will only be using deltas and Ivan to get out to the airfield. 


Okay, so now that you know the background of the Ice Runway and Pegasus, I will continue my story.  So, I was driving a delta out to Pegasus for the 3:30 a.m shuttle run.  The back of my delta was filled with about 8 or 9 ANG (air national Guard).  When I started to leave town, heading towards the sea ice transition to take the shortcut, I noticed that it was starting to smell like a campfire in the drivers cab.  I didn't really think much of it, so I rolled down my window; it was hot in there anyways.  Well, right before I was about to cross over the transition, I started to notice smoke coming from behind the steering wheel.  I had to do a double take because it caught me off guard.  Sure enough, it was smoking, totally explaining the campfire smell.  Too scared that the delta was going to blowup on me, I stopped in the middle of the road, only to get out having to face all the cranky ANG (remember its 3:30 a.m).  Luckily, there was one delta that was at the VMF (the place that fixes the vehicles when they breakdown), that was just fixed and already running.  My co-worker saved the day by bringing me that delta!  I was so relieved that I was able to tell the ANG it would only be a few minute wait.  AND I was so relieved that I noticed the smoke before I made it onto the the slushy, puddle filled transition.  Oh, and one thing you should know is that no one enjoys riding in the back of the delta.  Remember when you were younger and you always ran to the back of the bus because that is where you would get the biggest bounce from the bumps?  Well, that is how it is in the back of the deltas.  Only now we are older and the bumps aren't as fun.  And the ice roads, for the most part, are not very smooth roads.  I've seen people hit their heads on the ceilings riding in the Delta.  This might contribute to a small portion of the crankiness I have to deal with so early in the morning.  

One thing that is really cool is the pressure ridges.  So, I previously mentioned that the 2nd transition is on the sea ice between Ross Island and the Ross Ice shelf.  Well, when the tides rise and fall the sea ice has no where to go because of the Island and the Ice Shelf.  Because of that it has no where to go but up and forms these really cool ridges and waves.

 



















One big event that has happened is the Women's Soiree.  Cirque De La Glace was the theme this year.  The Women's Soiree is an annual event that has been going on for the past 15 years.  It's basically a talent show just for woman.  The whole point of the soiree is to raise money for charity.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the charity, but I know it has something to do with helping children whose parents are in prison?  Anyways, the women perform and there are waitresses who go around offering drinks.  The "tips" are the donations.  We haven't been given a total yet on how much was raised, but I did receive an email stating "I don't have the final tally yet for the 'tips' since I'm waiting for one more box of tips, but I am sure we will bring joy to a lot of people this year!".  With that said, I participated in the Soiree.  I know what you are thinking!  "What the heck could she have shared with McMurdo?  Maybe her award winning voice?"  Actually, I hip hop danced.  Well, not just me.  Six of my shuttle ladies and I had a dance off with 6 janitors, 1 rec, and 1 waste (they were all a group).  Each of us danced to two songs, with fun transitions in between, our third dance was together.  Needless to say, it was a riot bopping around to Lady Gaga and Rhianna, in front of a crowd, up on a stage.  Here is a picture of the Shuttle Ladies in our black costumes with make shift lightening bolts over our eyes (it's a Lady Gaga thing I guess).


Well, that is all I have for now.  This week is the big Christmas feast and party. There is a lot to look forward to in the next month: Christmas, New Years, 2 Shuttle Parties in Hut 10, Ice Stock, and the big rugby game- Yanks VS Kiwis to name a few.  And I, of course, will blog about all of them!  The next time you hear from me hopefully I will be a night sleeper yet again! :)  Merry Christmas!!!  Much Love  

1 comment:

  1. The seal pictures were great Kristy, it's crazy that you can get so close! I hope to see the dance off on youtube soon :).

    ReplyDelete